Many medicines are available as inhaled treatments, the most common form of inhaler is metered dose inhaler (MDI). It consists of a pressurised canister of medicine in a plastic case with a mouthpiece. Unfortunately, especially when using a MDI, only little drug will reach the lungs, most of the drug may end up on the tongue, on the back of the throat or in the air.
The AeroChamber Plus Flow-Vu Anti-Static Valved Holding Chamber (aVHC) consists of a plastic tube with a mouthpiece, a valve to control mist delivery and a soft sealed end to hold the MDI. The holding chamber assists delivery of medicine to the small airways in the lungs. This increases the medicine's effectiveness.
- Flow-Vu indicator: The flap moves when patient inhales, so cregiver can visually monitor if the patient is inhaling correctly.
- Anti-static Chamber: Improves the delivery of MDIs used with AeroChamber due to medication not adhering to chamber walls.
- Latex, lead, PVC, phthalate and BPA free.
- ComfortSeal mask: Provides critical face mask seal and is soft and comfortable.
- 'EZ Flow' Extension Valve: Directs exhaled medication away from patient's face and eyes.
- Inhalation Valve: Built-in, low-resistance, one-way valve opens easily and prevents exhalation back to the chamber.
- Universal Adapter: Fits most commonly prescribed MDIs.
- Dishwasher Safe: Take-apart unit allows for easy cleaning and is dishwasher safe at temperatures below 70oC.
Taking an Inhaled Inhaled Treatment
- Gently breathe out.
- Put the mouthpiece in your mouth between your teeth and close your lips around it.
- Press the inhaler once. The medication will be delivered into the AeroChamber®.
- Breathe in slowly and deeply over 3 - 5 seconds. If you breathe in too fast, the AeroChamber® may whistle.
- Hold your breath for up to ten seconds. This allows the medication time to deposit in the airways.
- Resume normal breathing.
- Repeat steps 1 - 6 when more than one puff is prescribed.
Cleaning and Care for the Aerochamber
- Clean the AeroChamber® once a week or sooner if needed. Regular cleaning will prevent powder accumulation inside the AeroChamber®.
- Remove the back rubber piece for the AeroChamber®. Note: If you have an AeroChamber Max you will also need to remove the mouthpiece attachment.
- Soak the parts for 15 minutes in luke warm water with liquid detergent. Move gently in the water. Rinse in clean water
- Place the Aerochamber® in the dishwasher on the top rack. The dishwasher water temperature should be less than 158 degrees.
- Shake off excess water. Do not rub dry.
- Air dry in a vertical position.
- Replace the back rubber piece when the unit is completely dry and ready for use.